Wednesday 29 April 2015

Altenew - April Challenge: From Places Abroad - China

I've been wanting to join in with the monthly Altenew challenge ever since it started but was a little worried (to be honest) that my designs wouldn't be quite good enough. Some of the entries I've seen are really spectacular, so it was a little intimidating. However, I had a little talk to myself and decided that this is supposed to be fun, so pushed the creative part of my brain to give it a go!


This is a close up photo of a building in The Forbidden City, Beijing, China, that is the inspiration for this challenge. I really liked the colours used and was immediately drawn to the row of circle designs that have a gold spot and alternate from blue to jade. I thought the circular pattern was gorgeous so used that for my card:


I die-cut a large circle from a jade coloured paint chip and  adhered it straight to the card front. I don't have many Altenew stamp sets but I thought that the painted rose outline would make a great pattern, heat embossed in gold. I did this with the larger rose with leaves in the centre on some navy CS and then smaller roses around the outside. I used a smaller circle die to cut the shape. This was popped up on foam tape. I stamped the sentiment in black ink on a small piece of white CS and used foam tape for this as well. A few enamel dots in red, to link with the photo and it was finished!!

The sentiment stamp is from Altenew 'Sohcahtoa' and the rose stamps from Altenew 'Painted Flowers'. The enamel dots are from Papervine.

I have three other challenges I would like to enter:

Simon Says Stamp - Monday Challenge (Anything Goes)

Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge (Clean and Simple)

Supar Pea Designs Challenge # 15 





Its after midnight so better try and get some sleep. All of my emails will still be waiting for me in the morning to answer I'm sure........

Take care
Shona
  

6 comments:

  1. WAke UP! Shona! This is stunning! I don't ever want to read about you doubting your talents EVER again, my friend... you have such talent, Shona, and an unparalleled design style... another masterpiece here today...
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fabulous source you used for your inspiration! Gorgeous card - the gold embossing adds such a beautiful touch.
    Thanks for sharing your awesome creation with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    hugs,
    Caryn x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shona...you totally rocked this challenge my sweet friend! I love your take on the inspiration photo, over the top fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your ombre cards and the "abroud" card reminds me of a fabric that a friend brought back from Marocco for me...Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, and definitely good enough! Your interpretation is well done! Thanks so much for playing along Altenew’s April challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You shouldn't be intimidated by anything, Shona ... your cards are always amazing! You've captured the rich colours and shapes of that fabulous motif beautifully ... it's so striking! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete