Thursday 3 September 2015

Time Out Challenge # 39

Welcome to a new challenge at TIME OUT!!. And the theme for this one is going to be very popular indeed:

'Time Out to Make your Mark'-use any kind of marker-e.g-copics, chalk, water colours, pencils with the optional twist of monochrome colour palette.

And with water colouring being all the rage at the moment in blogland, I just know there are going to be so many entries. Can't wait to see them all!!

This is also a special challenge as the sponsor is Uniko Studio and they have a prize for the challenge winner. How lucky will that person be!!!!


We have another amazing Guest Designer this week, its Marika from Me and Mini Me Crafting. Her cards are incredible and I'm always in awe of her spectacular colouring skills. You really must visit her blog and expect to be blown away!!!!!!!

I, like many other people, don't seem to be able to stop water colouring at the moment. And I recently purchased my first 12 pack of Zig Clean Colour Real Brush pens. They are as fantastic as everyone says and even Phoebe can't stop using them (think I need to buy her her own set....). This was my first card trying them out and I'm over the moon with the result:


The intensity of these pens is incredible. For this card I wanted to see how they worked being blended with water.

I started by stamping and heat embossing my favourite butterfly in gold in a circular pattern on water colour paper. I then sat down for ages adding colour and then pulling it out with a wet brush. In between each colour I used grey. Phoebe thought it looked like smudge marks but being a huge fan of grey, I love the soft, subtle colour against the bright.

After drying, I cut the paper to fit the card base but slightly shorter, so after popping up on foam tape there is a clean strip of white at the bottom. I die-cut a frame from vellum and also stamped the sentiment on white CS. I then decided to do something rash and different and got out some grey cotton and twirled it into a circle. The vellum was attached first and then the cotton on top being held in place with the foam tape on the sentiment.

Love this card so much!! Which is fantastic because its winging its way to a bloggie friend in America tomorrow. Hopefully it will put a big smile on her face!

The butterfly stamp is from Hero Arts. The sentiment is from CAS-ual Fridays 'Mon Ami' and the frame die is from Couture Creations.

I'll link this card to the Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge where their theme is 'All About Colour'.

I'm also going to link this card to the AAA Card Challenge # 47 where their theme is 'Embossing'.


You have two weeks to link your entries to the TIME OUT  challenge. And of course the rest of the Design Team (including our two new members Jill and Joyce) have some gorgeous projects on the blog to inspire you. Hope to see you in the Gallery and can't wait to see your creations!!!

Take care
Shona

27 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with watercolours. Your card is a perfect example of it. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is amazing, your watercolouring and embossing look fab. Love the vellum touch x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered a set too Shona... had to get them delivered to South-Africa, as Amazon doesn't deliver in the UAE. Supposed to be there by tomorrow... and then I have to wait for someone returning from SA to the UAE to bring it to me, or wait until November when I go there myself... ugh! ;(
    Your card is perfect PERFECT.Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is so pretty and you've sold me on those pens. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why you love it...it's absolutely amazing. I love the colors with the gold embossing and the touch of vellum is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is simply stunning. And such a pretty new way to use those butterflies. It would be great entry to the Hero Arts Makeover Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this card very very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. soooo pretty shona! Love the soft colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely with the gold embossing! I share your love of grey and think it looks great how you used it! I really need some of those Zig Markers that everyone is raving about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful! I love the gold embossing, the soft, delicate colours and the vellum behind the sentiment. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! love the gold embossing! thanks for joining us at AAAcards!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You could not have chosen a better sentiment for these gorgeous butterflies, Shona! Beautiful coloring and fabulous CAS design...Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The colours and that gold embossing looks so great! The card looks light and so crisp with all those butterflies that seem to be resting for a short time... Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful butterflies! Thanks for playing along at AAA Card Challenge! Justine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous, Shona - love the light airiness of the design. My markers should be here any day now - yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very beautiful, Shona! I love the fun layout, embossing, water coloring... All of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your great circle of beautifully coloured butterflies, Shona!!! And I love the grey you've used - looks great combined with the other lovely colours!!!! Love the vellum and the grey cotton behind the lovely sentiment!! A beautiful card!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What lovely jewel colours against that fabulous gold embossing ... beautiful butterflies, Shona! Think I must be the only person in the world who hasn't succombed to the charms of Ziggies ... yet! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your pattern of butterflies, and the gold embossing along with the water coloring is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! I love the butterflies embossed in gold...it gives it such a rich look! Beautiful job coloring with the Zig markers! Buy more! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card! Love the gold embossing, thanks for joining us this week at AAA Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think 'YOU' are amazing, you really work magic on your cards. Each and every one I see is seamlessly perfect. :) The soft colours, vellum and gold embossed butterflies are so pleasing to my eyes! Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  23. So pretty Shona - I love how you've used the markers with the gold embossing! My markers just arrived and I am looking forward to playing with them - you've totally inspired me! So happy to be on the Time Out DT with you! And thanks for linking up at AAA too! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely! i love how you embossed the butterflies :) thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Magic, Shona...every detail, combined, creates magic! Looks like you and your Zigs are a perfect match! I've had my set of 12 for nearly two months and...well...you can see that I've not used them. They just don't work for me! If we lived closer, I'd give my set to your daughter! Anyway, I'll keep practicing...sometime! Your inspiration gives me incentive...
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the softness of your card. Thanks for playing along with us at AAA Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW this card is stunning.. I love everything about it..

    ReplyDelete